1. In quilting, man-made fibers are bad. In knitting they are wonderful.
2. A shop hop is still a shop hop, no matter which craft you persue.
3. Unknitting is no more fun than unsewing.
4. Many people look at you strangely, no matter which project you haul out to work on in a public place.
5. Likewise, people will always come up to you and say, "My grandmother used to do that," as if you knew her and was her contemporary.
6. People have no concept how much time/energy goes into making a quilt (or something knitted) and have no compunction about asking you do do something for them. My standard reply with regard to quilting is, "No, but I'll teach you to do it yourself."
7. Perhaps other people are different, but I have to concentrate when I knit. For me, hand-quilting is a no-brainer.
8. I could see doing both crafts in the summer, if time permitted but I think both crafts are something warm and cozy to do in the depths of winter.
9. Stash is just a wonderful thing, whether it's yarn or fabric.
10. Ditto free patterns.
11. There is a saying in quilting, "I never met a quilter I didn't like." Well, I've met a couple, but by and large quilters are generous, funny, cool people. I don't know enough knitters IRL but the knitting books I've read and the blogs I've read would suggest that it is the same with knitters.
12. It's a beautiful thing to make something that will be an heirloom, whether it's a quilt or a knitted sweater. Not that I've made a knitted heirloom yet, but you get the picture. It is like a tiny bit of yourself lasts.
13. Both quilting and knitting calm my mind and give me back something that my brain needs to function better. When I worked in a quilting shop, I used to tell the customers, with complete seriousness, that quilting was good therapy...and you had something physical to show for it at the end. And I can look at a quilt that I've made, run my fingers over the quilting stitches, and remember what was going on in my life when I did it. Sometimes I'm very glad that quilts can't talk.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants