Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Yarn Love---Book Love

I got me some yarn love in the mailbox today:  2 skeins of woolish things to try out for a sweater jacket for Friend Husband and 2 skeins of sock yarn.  Part of the sock yarn will be put to use (hopefully) finishing David's socks and the rest will become other socks, in time.  I so love getting yarn (fabric, pictures, books, letters, whatever) in the mail.  It was happy dance time, right out there in the street and all.  I've got them down here by the computer so that I could enter them into my Ravelry account prior to tearing into them ravenously.


As any casual observer here will note, I also enjoy (nay, love) reading.  On a number of blogs recently, I've seen Katrina's contest mentioned and I'd intended to enter but just hadn't gotten around to it.  To my shock, tomorrow is the last day to enter the challenge if you want to go for prizes.  Since there are a bazillion people entered, I doubt I'll win anything, but hey, I'll take it.  So here's my official entry.


FIR07big


The contest entails writing down the books that you plan to get read this fall.  No pressure, no rules about how worthy or wonderful they're to be.  Make the contest whatever you want it to be.  So here are a few books I want to read this fall:


Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange.  Friend Sharon gave this to me for my birthday and it's just sat on my table gathering dust.  I want to read it but for some reason I haven't.  So I finally will, ok?  (By the way, did you know that there is an entire page of Amazon listings devoted to Pride and Prejudice characters with Darcy in their surnames?  I mean, people who written sequels and prequels and other stuff...weird.)


Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver.  Hey, if I'm reading all the cool books that Friend Sharon has given me, I'll put this one in queue.  She gave it to me at least five years ago...yoiks!  Good thing she can't read this, huh?


A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.  Second novel by the author of Kite Runner, which we read in book club a while back.  The first novel was brutal but magnificent.


The Burnt House by Faye Kellerman.  I've read everything she's written except for The Quality of Mercy, which just sickened me to the point of no return.  This is the latest in the Rina Lazarus-Peter Decker series, which I love.


Look Me In The Eye:  My Life With Asperger's by John Elder Robison.  When I went scanning the list of new Asperger's books recently, I found this one that sounded like one I'd enjoy.


Animal, Vegetable, Miracle:  A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver.  I am always fascinated by people who are able to be self-sufficient.  I toy with the idea late at night when my house is quiet, but it fades and then pops with a small sound in the light of day.  The Kingsolvers did it and wrote about it, so I'll just live vicariously through them.


Susannah's Garden by Debbie Macomber.  Because I like her writing, ok?


Rediscovering Yourself by Gordon MacDonald.  I think the subtitle is something like "listening to midlife" or something like that.  It's been on my shelf forever and recently made the climb upstairs.


Ok, that's enough.  No doubt, if I still have my faculties about me, I'll read more books than these, but thus ends my list.  If you want to enter the contest (before midnight tomorrow), follow the link on the pretty picture above.




2 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Looks like a good list! I've heard so many good things about Having a Mary Heart... Also, as a crocheter, I love getting new yarn, too! Thanks for being part of Fall into Reading!

Nise' said...

Great list. I enjoy Debbie Macomber as well! Going to add The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns to my TBR list. Seems like everyone is reading those two books and I don't want to feel left out!LOL Happy Reading.