Monday, June 30, 2008

Busy busy busy

When does life ever slow down? The only time life seems to slow down for me is when I'm sick, in bed. Then I can't appreciate it. In the winter, I think, "Well, in a few months things will slow down." Of course, they don't, because with the coming of the spring all the outdoor chores have to be done as well as the indoor chores that don't change. In the summer I think, "After the leaves fall and things get cold again, it will be easier." Apparently not. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just wondering if there's ever a slow time.

So, obviously, there's been a mad rush of activity around here. I try to keep things in mind to write but I'm generally unsuccessful. Thursday afternoon, we went down to the Creation Museum. Friend Husband hadn't been there in quite some time (and we hadn't been there in about 9 months). The newest coolest thing they had was the petting zoo. Their gardens were also gorgeous. It made me sick that I forgot to bring my digital. I got a few snaps with a disposable camera but don't know how they turned out at all. We also stopped by the mall to have David fitted for a tuxedo he's supposed to wear to a wedding next month. Yes, I laugh every time I think about the twins being in a wedding. The bride is a glutton for punishment, is all I can say.

Friday was a special day around here...my birthday observed day. Yay! Friend Husband made me waffles and had purchased cherries (my most favoritest fruit ever) the night before. See the pretty plate he made me?



Yummy good. Then he told me to go off and do what I wanted to do for the rest of the day. Now I don't even remember what I did, but I'm sure it was fun. What a swell guy! In the evening, we had pizza and opened gifts and ate cheesecake. Again, my camera was MIA, so no pics.

Saturday I went to a bridal shower for Friend Lorie, who is to be wed at the end of next month. This is the bride who obviously wants her wedding to be remembered for what my rambunctious twins will be doing in the midst of it.



Sunday was a lovely day. We worshiped as usual, then finally got to have lunch with Friend Terri and Friend Keith (parents of Friend Lorie, the crazy bride) and chatter. We're talking a lot about the wedding, for obvious reasons and we got to talking about the music. Friend Terri had mentioned that she was trying to find someone to sing before the ceremony, just while people were being seated and all and I told her that I'm sure Sarah and Rachel would be happy to do so. They sing very nicely together. She took me up on it! Yow! Sarah is thrilled (she loves to "perform") but we're having trouble thinking of songs that would fit. So far we've got A Whole New World, Annie's Song, Arise My Love, and one other one which I thought of this morning but have since forgotten. A search online did not reveal any other songs that we know that would work...any suggestions, I'm up for them!

Today was a cloudy and cool day, for a change. I worked in my garden for about 4 hours. It was great! But it was a little sad that I only planted one plant in all that time...the rest of the time was taken up with weeding. I thought I'd done a pretty thorough job on that one bed last week but apparently I didn't, or they just sprang up out of nothing, because I had to re-do that bed and do another one. I hope to get more squash and beans planted tonight, while the ground is still damp. I'm loving all of our rain because it means that I don't have to water.

I also spent a fair amount of time burying lengths of squash vine under more soil, hoping to avoid the issues with having vine borers get in and kill my squash plant. Friend Gina kind of bummed me out about the chances of being able to keep the critters from killing the squash with Sevin. Ah well, they have to die eventually.

And speaking of Friend Gina, look what she sent me in the mail today!



It's called the Sunday Market Shawl and I'm wearing it even as we speak. It was such a fabulous surprise and so very pretty. The picture really doesn't do the yarn justice.

Well, I guess I should go and actually get some more work done around here. Does pulling weeds for 4 hours count as work? It sure felt like it to my arms, shoulders, and legs! Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like the shawl. It was ridiculously fun to watch the stitches drop.

Aw I didn't mean to discourage you about those horrid vine borers. Sevin your little heart out. It might slow 'em down a little. My decoy zucchini plant is getting alarmingly large. I had hoped he wouldn't grow quite this quickly. We've got another 3 weeks or so before we're safe from the borers.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!