Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Good stuff

My Xangaversary passed without much fanfare on Sunday. Six years. Yeehaw!

Yesterday I went back to the ob/gyn who did my surgery. Last week when I was there, he decided not to take out all my staples because he thought another week would finish it up better. So yesterday, he finished taking them out. It's a weird feeling to have metal poking at your skin from your own body.

I don't think I've mentioned here how very much I like this doctor. I've been seeing the only female practitioner in this office for years and have avoided the men as much as possible. I figure, I'm not having babies (as I was told by this particular woman) and I don't need to see every doctor in this practice. Once I saw one other one and was not impressed.

Unfortunately for me, the lady doctor was on vacation when I came down with my infection/abscesses/whatever else was going on. Apparently Dr. Reilly caught the call and said he'd do the surgery, if we could wait for a few more days. We had to do that anyway, because of a fever I had (due to the infection/abscesses) that they wanted to get rid of before surgery so I agreed. I don't really remember a lot about this time, mind you, due to the pain and the pain pills. I do remember that they finally hospitalized me to give me IV antibiotics because the fever wasn't going away. And it never did...until everything was removed.

Anyway, the first time we met this guy, he had to do a really painful exam. Not the best way to meet. But he was very straightforward and had a touch of goofiness about him. Anyone who knows me knows that I love goofy people so I trusted him right away. Wouldn't have made a difference, because what was going to happen was going to happen but maybe it helped me mentally in some way.

Anyway, back to yesterday. Yesterday, he asked me a bunch of questions and as I was answering them, he seemed to get more and more happy/excited. I've never seen a doctor get excited. But Dr. Reilly was. He said he was amazed at how well I was healing and that I was two weeks ahead of where he thought I'd be at this point. And he had a great big grin spread across his face while he said it. I don't know how to explain it exactly, except to say that he made me feel good about what I was doing (which was not much of anything) and made it not onerous to go in and see him. I walked on air for the rest of the day. Yay, I'm a good healer! Not to mention that all the prayers that have been sent up for me have helped tremendously. It's a super feeling to be on the side of good health rather than ill health, for a change.

And other good news, Abby got a kitten for her 11th birthday. Cassandra is still settling in with us (she's only been here about a week and a half) and our next older cat Mithrandir doesn't like her much, but I think she'll do fine in the end. A year ago I gave y'all a cat picture during my Xangaversary post. Here is one of baby Cassie.



Cassandra, getting her knitting mojo on.

No comments: