Saturday, April 21, 2007

Birthday Parties and Sand Boxes

Yesterday was the much-awaited reunion of Abby and her penpal, Bethany.  Much rejoicing was heard in the land!  It was meant to be a joint birthday party for the two of them but I think if we'd just brought bread, water, and nothing else, they'd have had just as grand a time.  I wish I'd gotten a picture of the two of them in their adorable "Best Friends" necklaces.  We took all the young un's (and the old un's) to the park near our house.  We ended up staying there about 6 hours.  Yesterday was a fairly glorious day...sunny, cool, beautiful.  The children (all 7 of them) ran around like mad for most of those 6 hours, playing on the equipment, shooting off foam rockets (courtesy of the Bakers), eating (not much), and playing in the sand box.  Mostly, Bethany, Abby and Rachel hung out together and played.  And a good time was had by all.


I put up a slide show presentation yesterday because it seemed easier than loading all those pictures up on Xanga...does that work for y'all?  Here's another one with scenes from yesterday:


There were a gazillion newborn babies at the park last night.  I kid you not (no pun intended), I counted at least 5.  Someone's been working hard here in Miami Township!  One woman also brought this precious little kitten in a basket.  I can't believe it stayed there the whole time, but it did.


kitten in a basket


 I've been enjoying this link this morning.  I never thought I'd get to see the sunrise over Grand Canyon, especially from the comfort of my computer chair.


Here's another from Great Smoky Mountain National Park, atop Purchase Knob.  They used to have one at the top of Clingman's Dome but I don't see it anymore.  This one is lovely, though.


Answers to recent questions:


Lisa, I'm using size 15 circular needles to knit the bags.  They go fast!  Make sure you use the pattern I linked to and not the one they have up under "free patterns".  That one is messed up.


Lori, I'm using 100% wool yarn.  I've read that you can use up to 50% natural animal fibers and have it turn out ok but I haven't verified it myself.  Most of the yarn I've used is Patons Classic Merino but the yellow on Bethany's bag is Cascade 220.  The yarn I'm using on Abby's is KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, so we'll see how that goes.


Patty, here is the requested closeup of the felted material.  I don't know if this helps or not, but here it is!


Closeup of the felted bag



So, what to do today?  Well, knit for one.  I started a bag for Abby last night.  I also need to grade papers (bummer how life interferes with fun!), weed in the gorgeous weather we're having, find a new grammar book for Sarah, and make a dessert for tomorrow.  We're invited to play at the Rogers' house after worship services.  Too much fun for one day!  Praise God for all His blessings!

No comments: