Monday, December 31, 2007

Cardamom Bread Recipe

Yeah, I know, I should have put this up at UGS but I didn't.  So sue me.  The whole deal today is about the fact that I'm crazy crazy absolutely crazy busy today and also lazy lazy lazy.  Got that?  Lazy lazy crazy crazy.  Ok, good.


And in a related note, did y'all hear about the nasal spray in development which would allow people to be alert with less sleep?  They're calling it a sleep replacement, allegedly with no side effects.


Riiiiight...sort of like thalidomide or fen-phen, right?  Face it people, there are a lot worse things in the world than sleeping, for Pete's sake.  Get a grip and stop acting like the world will stop if you do.  You're just not that important. 


Yikes.  Where did that come from?  Perhaps a nap is in order.


Ok, what's next?  Oh, yeah.  The recipe.  JoAnn asked for the cardamom bread recipe that I mentioned last week.  I had to get in contact with the lady who gave it to me, lo these many years ago and ask her if she'd mind if I gave it to someone else.  She said, "No, it's on my blog right now, go ahead."  I figured that, since it's already posted on her blog, I'd just snitch it right off there and post it here.  And I have, below.  It's somewhat different than the one that I have and used last week, but it is much the same.  So here it is:


Finnish Cardamom Bread

4 cups scalded milk
4 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground cardamom seed
2 Tablespoons yeast.
Mix these together really well. I have a Bosch mixer, which I love, and I really use it a LOT. After that's mixed in good, mix in 4 eggs, and 1/2 pound butter. (Yes, use REAL butter!!!)
After that is all mixed in good, change to dough hooks, and start adding flour until it's a good soft dough. Let raise till double, punch down, divide into 6 or 8 equal pieces.
Now, take one of those pieces, cut it into 4 pieces, roll those out like snakes, a little longer than a foot, probably. Lay all four snakes on the counter parallel, then starting in center, work you way down braiding it. Then start at the other end/center, working to the end of that side.
Let raise till double, and bake about 15-20 minutes until nice, golden brown. I ice mine and decorate with red candied cherries. Yum, and it smells soooooo good.


Ok, I think I may have used more cardamom because I really really like cardamom and because my family is a bunch of spice hogs.  That would mean that our taste buds are so corrupted by all the spices we eat on a regular basis, that it takes more for us to be able to taste it.  Or something like that.  Anyway, this is the bread that I made a big ol' ring of and my family devoured it while I was asleep.  Oink oink.  I'm hoping to get some made today to take on our little journey.  What little journey, you ask?  This one:


ROAD TRIP!!!!


First road trip of the new year!  Woohoo!


My beloved sil called Saturday and said that it would be fine if we went to go see her and the girls on New Year's so we're madly doing laundry and cleaning house and packing getting ready for departure tomorrow after enjoying breakfast brunch with Friend Husband.  Yay!  Fun with Amber! 


I do love my sil...she's a lovely person and has put up with my brother for the past 13 years.  I hope the thundering hordes my family doesn't overwhelm them too much but since we had such a good time at Thanksgiving, I thought I'd throw caution to the wind and ask for another visit.


So.  I have a lot to do.  Which would explain why I'm on the computer, right?  In addition to the aforementioned chores, I need to check on some animals I'm pet-sitting, mail some packages, get some other stuff, and go to the store to get Dave's meds.  Oh, we got permission to step back his meds.  I hope and pray that he won't relapse again because (and here's the technical formula):


Dave + huge dose of steroids = not fun. 


Who said I'm not a math person?


Seems like there was something else I wanted to say.  Oh yes, about the aforementioned cardamom bread.  In addition to the butter (which you really should use in baked goods anyway just for the flavor of it), you really really really need to use the cardamom pods and grind the seed fresh.  Friend Leigh asked me last week where in the world I find cardamom pods.  Well, here in the world is where I go:  Jungle Jim's International Market.


If you ever find yourself in the wilds of Cincinnati, you simply must make time for a trip to Jungle Jim's.  Especially if you're a foodie.  It's just too too fun.  This is where I purchase all the spices and other goodies (cheap red lentils, yum!) for my Indian and other ethnic cooking.  And I'm pretty sure they'll do mail order as well.


Oh, and I forgot to mention this funky dream I had last night, about Friend Michelle, who is Abby's friend Bethany's mother.  I dreamed that FM decided that I had done way too many rotten things to her and Bethany and she wasn't going to talk to me anymore nor let Bethany talk to Abby.   I actually woke up and almost called FM to beg for mercy, before I realized that it was just a dream...Have mercy!  I hate dreams like that.


Ok, I guess I'll actually get going and do what I'm supposed to be doing (being a grown-up is just so responsibility-forming).  Y'all have a happy New Year's Eve and be safe!  And if you are Friend Michelle my dream was actually reality, please have mercy.  Ok, thanks...


Definitely a nap is in order.  Or more coffee.  Either way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you believe after living in this city for 10 years, Ward has never made it to Jungle Jim's? He gets nervous whenever I mention it. I think its a combination of the TV commercials and the horrors of driving up Route 4.

Enjoy your trip!