Obviously, this is not an "official" Thursday Thirteen. I don't intend to submit it to the site, which seems to be down, in any case. I just have a lot of randomness through which to sort and so I shall.
1. I am a major copycat. When my sil took a cake decorating class, I did too. When Friend Gina delved into various and sundry internet groups, I did too. Now Friend Gina is doing a fun photo a day thing. I told her I wasn't going to do it, but I think I probably will do it in my own Slacker Mom™ sort of way. Whenever I feel like it. I pretty much do that anyway, but this puts some structure into the situation. I dearly need structure in my life.
Speaking of lack of structure and structure within photo challenges, have y'all seen the thing where people take a picture of themselves every day and post it. One question: why? Perhaps it's a giant whomping of self-disgust, but I couldn't imagine taking a photo of myself every day and posting it. Ick.
2. So here are the last two days' pictures:
Watching the inauguration on Tuesday. Actually, I think this was the Inaugural Address.
Random chillens in study hall, during yesterday's co-op classes. Including two of my own.
3. Speaking of co-op classes, man alive! I will definitely need to consume more caffeine on Wednesdays. We were there from 10-5. Now understand that this is not a co-op, in the true sense of the word. It is more an enrichment situation, where you pay people to teach your children stuff. Some people drop their children off and pick them up later. That is what I did until this year, when the twins started taking a class. Now I just hang around. It's fun, the children get to interact with the rest of the children, I get to chat here and there with other moms. It's been enriching for all of us.
But one of the things I help do is crowd control in the study hall. And an all-day stint of that is exhausting. When classes change, a mom or a teen helper has to walk/escort the students from one place to another. Generally I am that person, from the study hall room. I also help to keep the children a little less noisy when they gather together in groups and get all excited. They have such a good time and that makes me smile. I love the children in this co-op and by and large, I enjoy the other moms. Some of them are very intimidating with their lithe bodies and lovely clothes, but what can a fat mama do? I just enjoy as much as I can. But by 5, my feet feel like hamburger and I'd like nothing more than to go right to bed and wake up the next day. But it's time to fix & snarf down some dinner and then go to worship services. Last night I fell asleep on the way home. And I slept like the dead last night.
4. I have been doing more consistent exercising. It's not a lot but it's more than I was doing. Yes, I like the way I feel afterward, but not enough to look forward to it when I get up at o'dark thirty to go.
5. I brought my daughter Rachel over to the dark side of enjoying Facebook. Now we have another place to compete for computer time. Why do I do this to myself?
6. I have done no Swedish all week. Must. Do. Swedish.
7. It is so cold in my basement. I think my hair is freezing from my shower this morning.
8. And speaking of Facebook, which I was a few items ago, I have been getting back in contact with the people with whom I went to school. It's amazing what some of them have been doing. One of my classmates is on the city council of Salt Lake City. A couple are bigwigs in one place or another. One is the assistant admissions director at the University of Texas at Austin. That might not mean anything anywhere else but Austin, but in Austin it's not a bad gig. So far, I haven't found anyone else who's "just a housewife", but perhaps I will. I have, however, totally confounded everyone. They don't seem to be able to get their heads around the fact that I'm a SAHM with 5 kids. I don't know if it's the SAHM thing or the 5 children that get to them. Anyway, it makes me laugh.
9. Oh, something else that totally tickled me yesterday was the revelation that at least two of the ladies at our enrichment classes think that I'm a total hoot. One of them told me the other day that I have one physical persona which doesn't seem to suggest what my personality is like. I'm a lot more zany internally than I appear externally. That makes me grin, all over.
10. I have just come up with a different sort of punishment for the chillens. Just now, Rachel and Abby were having an altercation wherein Rachel sort of admitted that she had done something to Abby. When I told her she needed to give her sister a "big smoogie hug" and she refused, I said, "Ok, I'm going to put Frigid Fingers on you." I then laid my icy fingers on her sizzling skin and got them toasty warm. She still hadn't made up with her sister when I came back down here but my hands were warm. And she has the fear of future Frigid Fingers upon her flesh. Ha.
11. Friend Husband and Sarah have the dreadful cold from which I was suffering over the weekend. Not fun. Has anyone ever used a neti pot? Yowza! Friend Hollie recommended it to me and I tried it. It helped my sinuses but it was one intensely strange feeling to be irrigating my sinues in that fashion.
12. I have so much to do. And that is why I am tippety tapping out on the computer. Because most of it is housework, at which I do not excel.
13. Here are a few things I'm supposed to do today and make up from other days, according to my Motivated Moms calendar:
- Call in refills for prescription meds.
- Mop kitchen.
- Clean out vehicle.
- Dust family room/living room.
- Clip children's nails.
- Clean light fixtures in hallways and entryways.
- Vacuum public areas of house.
- Do laundry.
So I have my work cut out for me, as usual. It remains to be seen if I will sew it up or not. Y'all have a good day! It's almost the weekend.