Sunday, April 05, 2009

Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen!

Somehow it's been a little easier to take that Sarah has turned 16 than it was that Rachel turned 14. I don't understand that, but there it is. This is actually a big birthday year. May will see Abby's 10th birthday, Lord willing, and the twins will turn 5 in September.

Sarah has not been thrilled about turning 16. Sarah is not thrilled about getting older and assuming an adult role in the world. There is very little I can say to make her feel better about it so I just try to deal with it as it comes. I didn't hold back much today, though. There's only one time in a girl's life that you can sing "Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen!" and "Sixteen Candles" to her. Hee hee. She's dealing with it with some good grace.

She wanted white pepper chicken & chocolate lasagna for her meal. She also wanted Chinese green beans but the fresh beans were despicable at 2 stores. While I was at Kroger looking for some today, I happened upon the Easter aisle and had a brainstorm. I picked up a carton of those plastic eggs that you hide things in and some candy (Peeps & Hershey's Kisses). I already had some random things at home to put in them and I added all of them to the eggs. We then placed them in various locations around the living room and made her find them. It added a little fillip to the occasion, I think.

So anyway, here are a few birthday pictures of our birthday girl. How quickly it goes by!












I love the look of confusion on her face. The only thing she asked for this year was a flashlight. She got 2 batteries in the eggs and a certificate for the flashlight.

3 comments:

msta62 said...

Happy Birthday Sarah! 16 yo - that was a looong time ago! But I'm intregued by the chocolate lasagna! Sounds like something I would like! Hugs!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Happy Sweet 16th to Sarah and happy birth'ing day to you.

My eldest son turns 16 in 2 months.Had to beleive the time has gone so fast.

My twins turn 3 in July ... that time has flown.

Julie said...

Happy Birthday Sarah!

What is Chocolate Lasagna? Sounds yummy!