Friday, December 26, 2008

The rest of the story...

Well, I would like to tell the rest of the story about our trip to Missouri but I don't know how long I'll have on the computer.  Life is a little nutty these days.  I almost preferred it when we were having school all day.  Almost.  But not quite.

Ok, after Cousin Shawn's (well, and Cousin David's) party, we drove the two hours more west to Columbia, where we lived for 6 years in the 1990's.  And that was like ancient history, right?  We stayed with Bart and Jessica and their boys and had a total blast.  Only Mother Nature made the trip difficult.  That was the weekend with the Arctic blast across the U.S.  Brrr!

So Sunday morning we had the privilege of worshiping at Columbia with all our pals from way back.  And amazingly enough, none of us had aged a bit!  The only thing that showed that we were older was the fact that our children were growing like weeds around us.  Yow.  I prepared myself by looking at everyone's pictures on Facebook so I would gawk but it was still crazy.  We had lunch with a bunch of folks, then back to the afternoon worship.  After chatting a long while with folks, we went back out to Bart & Jessica's, where they invited some people over and we ate and talked and ate and talked, and some of us watched football while the rest of us talked.  Good times.

In the midst of these good times, my son, yet again, attempted to kill himself in a spectacular way.  He fell down Bart and Jessica's staircase.  Which is not at all carpeted.  It was very reminiscent of that scene in Gone With The Wind when Scarlett falls down her staircase except, as I recall, Scarlett's were covered with carpet.  To say that it scared me half to death would not be an exaggeration.  I'll bet none of those folks (some of whom have known me a long time) have never seen me move that fast.  Of course, I couldn't catch him but I did get him to comfort him after it was all over.  This is where it is helpful to have a doctor in the house (or to be in a doctor's house) because Bart checked him out and pronounced him unbroken.  He wasn't even goofing off, he just slipped.  I assure you, though, he was very careful any other time he went down those stairs.

Alas, all good things much come to an end and so did our visit.  We finally got out of Jessica's hair about 10:30 Monday morning and headed for home.  It was a super trip and we had a great time.  I would highly recommend staying with Jessica & Bart when you're in town.  They're the hosts with the most.

And now for some photos, I hope.



They had a digital piano, which Rachel very much enjoyed playing.  I think she just liked the applause button that you could push after you finished!

 

Bart, Grant, & Friend Husband



The teenaged girls and their sisters.



Lydia & Mahlon's daughter would not let me take her picture!  I got her later though.  She's such a fun little girl.  I'm sure she runs Lydia ragged.


And they say we talk a lot!



The littles.



Abby helping with dinner prep.



Look at Levi's face.  Now can you understand why the twins had such a blast with him?



This was a very popular guitar.



Levi & David, partying on the steps.  This was a little above where David began his precipitous descent.



Landon is 6.  We finally got that straight the last day.  He was kind enough to give me notices for the next 2 years so I won't lose track of how old he is.  (And he's a lot of fun too!)



Me & my bud Karen.  We both look horrid.  I tried to fix the lighting in this picture but it didn't work.  Oh well.  It was fun to see her and Bill.  Oh, and by the way, those of you who know them should be aware that Bill is turning 50 next month so we should assist Karen in harassing him, don't you think?

Well, I guess that's all I can do for now.  I hope y'all're having a good time.  I've been baking.  I baked another batch of cardamom bread yesterday and a batch of almond kisses (from one of my Hannah Swensen books) today.  Friend Husband is quite happy.  Hope y'all are too!  Mwah!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great time. I hear you about the weather. I am tired of winter already.

I have decided I hate flash and I would prefer to only take photos where there is enough light that they don't go off. It is significantly easier to fix a photo that is a little dark...

But, I don't think either of you look horrid. Just enjoying each other's company. It is good to have friends.

bigfish said...

The Lord bless you. So great to see all those photos. Sorry for not keeping in touch. God bless.
Ai Boon