Saturday, July 02, 2011

I found my thrill

Well, it's that time again...time for picking blueberries at Rouster's. The Rouster family has been hosting blueberry pickers for decades, and our family for a decade now. They have acres of land planted in blueberries, blackberries, and apples. (They are also the place-the only place-I will buy apples.)

Blueberry picking is a family tradition for us. I love this tradition. The first berries are so big and yummy! They are the largest variety. This year they were easily bigger than my thumb nail. And every year I swear they taste like flowers. Zi, who loves to argue, decided to argue with me about that. I told her this: When you are a mom and taking your kids blueberry picking, you will try a blueberry and think that it tastes like flowers. And you will remember my telling you this.

She was unimpressed.

The guy one row over in the Franciscan robes was more impressed. I kid you not, he was truly in one of those long brown robes, like Friar Tuck. Very friendly too. So I just looked up Franciscans on Wikipedia but couldn't figure out what order he would be a part of. Very interesting reading, though. And he was from the West Side, and I should have asked him if he knew Friend Barb, but I didn't think of it until just now.

I digress.

Anyway, there were something like a gazillion people there. I've never seen so many people there at one time, and like I said, we've been going there for 10 years. Don't know what was up but it was packed. And remarkably, everyone was walking out with pounds and pounds of blueberries. I wonder how many pounds of blueberries they produce in a year there? The line to pay was so incredibly long that I told Friend Husband to go stand in it while I continued picking and chatting with Sarah, Abby, and some other random person from the east side, this time. One of the pleasures of picking is meeting people and chatting. It's amazing how friendly people can be at this event. Eventually Friend Husband was at the frontish part of the line and he called us over. We had been picking for at least 20 minutes, maybe longer since he started to stand in line.

I think we ended up with between 25 & 30 pounds of luscious blue orbs of deliciousness. I took this picture with my phone (camera's dead and of course no one knows what has become of the charger) after we had hiked to the back 40 with our booty. Notice anything?

That's right, Her Royal Highness, the Princess Rachel declined to come with us. Yes, she had been up and down all night but her main excuse was that she never got a chance to sleep in, now that she works every morning and has to be there at 8. Boo hoo. As I told Friend Husband, getting up at 7 isn't exactly rising before dawn. This is a big family event and important to me. He was more inclined to give her a break and so she got to stay home. I missed her.

And thus ends my second blog post in as many days. I'm attempting to do NaBloPoMo this month. My blog could use an infusion and I could use the discipline. So probably I'll mess up real soon and not blog for a month because that's how my life goes. Perhaps not. But right now I'm going to go eat lunch and finish up with some yummy blueberries for dessert!

No comments: